Neen Sollars Community Hydro owns and runs a 12.5kW hydroelectric installation at Tetstill Mill, Neen Sollars on the River Rea. The project is funded by a co-operative share issue and owned by local people. The turbine provides green electricity to the local electrical grid, potentially corresponding to around 10-20% of the domestic power use in Neen Sollars.
- practical generation of green electricity
- local involvement in owning and running a renewable generation system
- awareness raising and education in the local area
- a modest annual income for a local charity
- entirely conceived and executed by local people
- working alongside wider attempts to improve the ecological status of the Rea
The turbine has had serious operational issues due to the installer going bust but is being brought back into full production by a volunteer team of members and supporters.